The Walking to Freedom Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Farewell Letter to my IL Representatives  (Read 291 times)

Machine

• View Profile
Farewell Letter to my IL Representatives
« on: July 28, 2013, 10:56:05 PM »

Dear Representatives:

I am writing my last letter as an Illinois resident. It is not in support or in opposition to any bill, nor is it in regards to your voting record. My wife and I have decided to relocate to Alaska. The conditions in Illinois are a significant contributor to this and I wanted to share my perspective with you before I leave and become too focused on my new living arrangements to write. We are resigning from two good-paying positions in Illinois in exchange for one in Alaska, at least to start.

Let me focus on two important items to me, civil rights and fiscal issues. It has become clear to me that there is a major force in Illinois that is power hungry and has no regard for individual liberties, even those guaranteed by the Constitution. Consider concealed carry. Despite 49 other states having some form of concealed carry AND a court order requiring carry law be implemented, our state legislature was involved in many late night, back room antics and political manipulations to do everything possible to avoid recognizing rights of its residents. Watching this unfold over months was very enlightening and the message that I get is that Illinois is about government control and not about representing the people.

Seldom does a day go by without Illinois taxes coming to mind. When I get my lunch in Rosemont, I am paying 11% sales tax. When I get on the tollway, I am paying almost 90% more than just a couple years ago. Every paycheck is smaller due to a 67% income tax hike. Shall I go on? These are BIG numbers. Yet I do not see evidence that there is any serious restraint or concern about taking more and more of residents’ money.

I hope that Illinois can someday find its way. After almost 20 years living in the state, I can assure you that things are not better today than they were when I came here. I wish you success in any endeavors that you may have that can improve these conditions for your constituents.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:59:32 PM by Machine »