The Walking to Freedom Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Vision and Mission of The Walking To Freedom Forum  (Read 24305 times)

ModernSurvival

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Vision and Mission of The Walking To Freedom Forum
« on: February 26, 2013, 10:05:03 PM »

For a few years I have worked with and supported The Free State Project of New Hampshire http://freestateproject.org/  While it is not in the cards for me to move to New Hampshire the concept to me is the hallmark of a republic.   Individual member states band together to form a Federal Republic of States.  In our case we call this "The United States of America".  Citizens have freedom of movement from state to state and the citizen is seen as the most sovereign entity with the most rights, next in the chain is the sovereignty of the member states and at the bottom of the sovereignty chain is the Federal Government. 

Much of this system is broken today, the Federal Government is filling many roles it isn't supposed to fill.  State governments then fail to stand up for their citizens or worse they often pile on more restrictions and encumbrances upon liberty.  There is one component of the system though that is still functioning, movement between the states.  The final act of a citizen voting in a republic is to vote with their feet.  While I love the work being done in New Hampshire, I realized like me there were many people who just can't for one reason or another move there.  What dawned on me then though was if we simply create an exodus from the 5-10 worst states it does many things.

1.  It sends a message to ALL state governments, your citizens understand a republic and their power and are damn well willing to use it.  Oppress your citizens and your most valuable producers (citizens and companies) will leave for a better environment. 

2.  States with more liberty like Texas, New Hampshire, Arizona, etc. will attract more liberty oriented individuals.  Not for the purpose of transforming their new home states states but to at minimum hold the line and prevent said states from becoming less libertarian. 

3.  It makes the entire movement far larger then just The Free State Project or other groups like Free State Wyoming.  By gaining maximum exposure and reach, Walking To Freedom, is a rising tide that will float all boats.  It will actually bring more people to states like Wyoming and New Hampshire by fostering competition among the member states.

4.  Most current oppression in the US is actually at the Federal Level.  There are a handful of states that go above and beyond that, it is easier to target those 5-10 on the naughty list and let the other 40-45 states make their case as to why you should move there, then it is to try to get anyone upset with their state to choose a single option as a way out. 

5.  Freedom is highly personal.  To some tax freedom is the main concern, others are more concerned with freedom over types of housing, some with freedom to keep and bear arms yet others simply want what I call operational freedom.  Operational freedom is simply the freedom to conduct business.  Many entrepreneurs are less concerned with the overall tax rates and more concerned with the permits, fees, hoops one must jump though just to open the doors.   

6.  By fostering competition among all the states not on the naughty list we have a much larger influence.  It brings public awareness to the issue and starts making many states that are at the far end or middle of the spectrum to start thinking about he consequences of being on the naughty list or having the list grow just because they have encouraged us to do so.  Yes the list can get bigger in time if necessary.  We use "disapproval voting" to establish the list. 

When I consider all of the above it is clear to me that Walking To Freedom is a true manifestation of the principle of a republic.  Sure many states may not make the naughty list that many of us feel should.  We can only hand out so many demerits you know but, the other side is those states will find that far less citizens choose them as a place to move to.  I am quite sure in time that this movement will result in tens of thousands of "good bye letters" to state and local officials.  While that is half of the equation, I wonder how the Chamber of Commerce of say a state at the bottom of the receiving end will feel if they see hundreds or even thousands choosing state relatively close to them. 

I also want to help with yet another problem.  I have constantly heard in this debate how citizens of State X leave and move to State Y due to being fed up.  Yet they turn around and then try to turn State Y into the very State X they just left behind.  Perhaps if citizens were to move for more then one reason this would be mitigated?  By fostering conversations between movers and for lack of a better term stayers (perhaps recruiters) those who are fed up can find a state that is most closely aligned with who they are. 

It is often the case that a person will move over a fiscal issue but not agree with a social issue where they land.  The state where they moved to may resent them and feel they are trying to turn where they moved to into the place they just left behind.  The reality though is different, they likely have no desire to increase taxes they just want more social freedom, they don't necessary want you to pay for it.  If such a citizen were able to find both more fiscal freedom and more social freedom, likely they and their new neighbors would be more happy.  In the end we all must learn to get along but good match making is a great place to start.

The key is either way, the oppressive state looses a producer and are denied the opportunity to tax them and denied the privilege of having them conduct business and participate in commerce within their state.  Did you get that word?  Privilege!  Yes the states should understand when citizens have freedom of movement, the presence of a productive member or society in that state is a state's privilege not a states right. 

In the end I feel our members will agree that it is relatively easy to identify the 5 or so worse offenders when it comes to liberty.  The states that are just a few shades above them are not something I feel we need to be very worried about.  Likely free states are going to attract quite a few of their citizens anyway.  The key is to zero in on a small naughty list and give the citizens of those states a message, your fellow Americans would love to have you as neighbors.  We all have some unique things to offer, each state has pluses and minuses but flatly about 40 of us look like entirely different nations then the 5-6 at the very bottom. 

For instance I have no desire to return to my home state of Pennsylvania, it has fallen too far for my taste from the ideals of our founders.  Yet if I compare Pennsylvania to New Jersey it is like Comparing East and West Germany during the cold war.  I mean if you are a freedom loving citizen of New Jersey I would love to have you in Texas and I am sure the folks in New Hampshire would as well, but to be blunt the Delaware river isn't the Berlin wall!  Escape is easy and not far away.  If Pennsylvania is as far as you can manage it is still a move away from one of the most oppressive governments in the nation.  A state were you can't even have a unloaded and cased gun locked in your trunk without being considered a felon.  Hell for that matter New Jersey is a state that won't even let you pump your own gas.

In the end though liberty is personal, it can only really be defined at the individual level.  Yet when some governments encroach too far measures must be taken.  Our founders knew all governments do this, they founded a republic so the citizenry would have many options.  You can vote with dollars and do business with companies you agree with.  You can vote with a ballot and elect your leaders.  When you serve on a jury you have a final check on unjust law and a jury can indeed nullify such a law with a simple vote of not guilty.  The ultimate vote though is simply walking away.  The states on the naughty list are already by and large on the verge of fiscal crisis if not all out bankruptcy, they can't afford to have their most productive citizens leave.  Yet they should all be warned that the citizens well, they can by and large very well afford to leave.  Not only can they afford to but they can often increase their quality of life by doing so.  In other words they need you a hell of a lot less then you need them.

The vision of Walking to Freedom is simple, to encourage tens or even hundreds of thousands of citizens to simply walk away from the most oppressive and fiscally irresponsible states in the union.  To allow them to find the best new home, to find friends, jobs, churches, communities, etc that will welcome them with open arms.  Many people feel moving is too hard to accomplish, we simply want to show them that it is far more difficult to live in oppression and abuse then to rent a U-haul and make some new friends. 

Once the naughty list is established we will move into action.  All the naughty list states will have a dedicated "good bye letter" board.  Where we encourage all of their citizens to leave a letter to their governor, state and federal reps, local officials and local news outlets telling them why they are leaving and what is being lost by their exodus.  All other states will get a board where their citizens, officials, chambers of commerce etc. may freely make a case as to why their state is a good choice.  Those looking to move can discuss what different states have to offer, job availability, local communities, finding housing, etc. 

If you are an official in a state on the naughty list be warned.  This movement may seem like the vision of one "red neck in Texas" to you, but this red neck isn't alone.  He is also smart enough to know this is bigger then himself or his state of Texas.  As much as I want my fellow Americans to join me in the Lone Star State, I want them to leave behind oppression even more.  If I could throw a level that moved 5 million productive freedom loving people out of the five most oppressive states tomorrow and Texas wouldn't get a single one of them, I would do it at once. 

In summary I always say a fight for liberty anywhere is a fight for liberty everywhere.  While that is true it is also a fact that when oppression is sufficient, everywhere but where you are is better.  For those on the naughty list that is the choice you have given to your citizenry, we simply aim to help them make the best choice for them and assist them with their walk to liberty.  Simply put for those states on the list, this isn't something we did to you, it is something you have done to yourselves, we are just shining a light on it. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:02:10 PM by ModernSurvival »

flippydidit

• Keep 'em shooting!
    • View Profile
    • PermEscapes
Re: The Vision and Mission of The Walking To Freedom Forum
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 12:01:18 PM »

I don't think I can commend you enough for this site Jack.  You've put into action something that I've only told others.  It would have made me happy if the naughty list were 13 choices for 2013, but really only because there were two or three more that I wanted to add to the 10.  Not a deal breaker by any stretch.  Still very happy to see this project grow some legs (literally and figuratively).  Thank you so much for putting this together.

Now it's up to us to spread the word, "WTF"!!!
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

ModernSurvival

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 02:11:54 PM »

;D ;D ;D

Am I not like a marketing genius?  When your state makes you say WTF one too many times, WTF is indeed the answer!

flippydidit

• Keep 'em shooting!
    • View Profile
    • PermEscapes
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 02:31:45 PM »

;D ;D ;D

Am I not like a marketing genius?  When your state makes you say WTF one too many times, WTF is indeed the answer!

Effing brilliant.
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

Roundabouts

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 02:51:34 PM »

YES you are a marketing master.  I have been wishing for a site like this.  I am sure I am not the only one.  Researching where to move to is almost like looking for a needle in a hay stack and can be so over whelming.  Any thing that helps that process is a blessing.  If nothing else knowing where NOT to move may even be more helpful.  I would like the naughty list as the 5 OH NO WAY and 5 PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION.

ModernSurvival

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 03:32:53 PM »

YES you are a marketing master.  I have been wishing for a site like this.  I am sure I am not the only one.  Researching where to move to is almost like looking for a needle in a hay stack and can be so over whelming.  Any thing that helps that process is a blessing.  If nothing else knowing where NOT to move may even be more helpful.  I would like the naughty list as the 5 OH NO WAY and 5 PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION.

I think the beauty here is going to be that yea we can use rankings, stats, etc. as a starting point but citizens can talk to other citizens that actually LIVE there.  Liberty is highly personal especially while we live in a society that isn't libertarian.  We have to pick and choose.  Lots of sites can help you move, I want a site that helps you move and already have new friends waiting for you to arrive. 

Frankly this is going to be epic and I guarantee you before the year is over it will be pissing a lot of people off. 

stryker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 04:35:11 PM »

I get it. I believe this is necessary. Who will stay and fight the good fight? If we run for the hills, will the country fall around us? While building a stronghold for liberty is not only a smart thing to do but mandatory, it scares me to think of a place absent a guide back to freedom and prosperity. Not at all trying to ruin the party here, just worried I will be stuck holding the bag.

eronious

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 05:27:19 PM »

Thank you thank you thank you, Jack.  I sent you an email recently asking to get realtors from the top 10 states to sell us on their states.  This is far, far better.  I love the idea of quantifying this information with some good old fashioned crowd sourcing.  I love being able to get some real specific information on states in real time.  In my email, I told you I'd love to come be your neighbor, but my team has four votes, myself, my hubby and my parents.  My mom has a burned out thermostat in her body from a heat stroke, so the southern states are pretty much out of the question for my team.  But I just KNOW there's got to be somthing better out there than where I am now.

Stryker:  I could not agree more, and my dad probably agrees with you to some extent too.  He's a "stay and fight" kind of guy.  However, I liken the situation I find myself in to being on a train.  You know where its going when you get on.  If you have a change of course, there's some amount of influence you might have on correcting it for some period of time, but at a certain point, there's no changing the trajectory.  Take my state of CO for instance.  Not long ago, CO was on the top lists of "freest" states in the union.  The problem is that the people defending things like gun rights here are also the most avid personal freedom opponents, which in my (less than) humble opinion are a dying breed.  So as the Focus on the Family crowd (and I'm not saying anything bad about FotF per sey) dies out, all that's left is the far left-leaning Denver metro area and a lot of people that kind of don't care as long as they have great trails and open spaces.  That's a trajectory that would be nearly impossible to impact at this point.  Not to mention, as water becomes more and more scarce in this state, homesteading is really a terrible plan here.  We recently owed Kansas a bunch of water.  We had a beautiful lake out on the eastern plains that was home to a bunch of different kinds of trout and water birds.  Lovely.  Anyway, we had to drain this lake to give the water to Kansas because of some 100 year old document that said we owe them a certain amount of water every year.  That's the sort of thing that we can't change that is going to make CO absolutley unsustainable to live in eventually.

kellgy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 05:40:42 PM »

I have high hopes for this forum. Last September I drove through 18 states "exploring" those I liked and those I don't. I first had my mind set on Pennsylvania where my sister's family lives. I soon found out it was not all that they cracked it up to be. My main concern though was its proximity to a HUGE population density. I am no fan of that! I did fall in love with Kentucky as the people were so friendly compared to California (my current state) that I wanted to explore it further. I don't know, maybe I will.
I thought Texas was too humid but am weighing that component and find it irrelevant now considering the gun laws Cali is about to pass . . . mandatory removal of certain weapons. I know my state is gone so this site should prove helpful to save me money from having to travel to every state just to see if I like it or not.
I do plan a visit in May to either Texas or Idaho/Montana area. Perhaps this forum will help guide that decision.
Good work Jack! This is an excellent idea!!!

flippydidit

• Keep 'em shooting!
    • View Profile
    • PermEscapes
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »

I know my state is gone so this site should prove helpful to save me money from having to travel to every state just to see if I like it or not.
I do plan a visit in May to either Texas or Idaho/Montana area. Perhaps this forum will help guide that decision.

Kellgy,

I might be able to lend you some support with your search.  I've lived in California, Texas and the Tennessee/Kentucky border.  In our exploration we looked in 13 states.  We traveled to Northern Idaho to look at properties for a few weeks (primarily Sandpoint and north).  This forum should definitely help you and many others with your search.  Send me a PM if you'd like to chat.
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

ModernSurvival

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 09:33:36 PM »

I thought Texas was too humid but am weighing that component and find it irrelevant now considering the gun laws Cali is about to pass . . . mandatory removal of certain weapons. I know my state is gone so this site should prove helpful to save me money from having to travel to every state just to see if I like it or not.

Saying Texas is humid isn't really accurate, Texas is to big to describe by any single climate term other then I will admit hot is pretty universal other then a few areas where even when it is hot you don't find it uncomfortable.  The tiny town of Marathon comes to mind for that, it is about 90 miles north of Big Bend.  DFW is hot it isn't humid at all though.  There are ocassional humid trends but day to day I will take 100 in Texas over 90 in Pennsylvania any day.

It is cold this week (30s windy, cloudy, wet) and while that isn't that cold it reminds me that I really don't want to live up north ever again.  It will be beautiful in a week or two, it will still be cold in my old home town for months, screw that.  I am planting my garden right now to make a point.

When you come to Texas, come see us, we will put you up for a few days if you want so you can look around the DFW market if you are so inclined.  Two very different big cities, lots of jobs and things get real rural really fast in all four directions.

glenGlenna

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 11:57:57 PM »

It is a great idea. Building resilient communities is the key to riding the storm out. I was a long time CA resident and recently moved out to the mountains of NC. Slowly building community and infrastructure. By the way perhaps we should include Washington D.C. Way to lead Jack, cheers!

kellgy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 09:55:32 AM »

Saying Texas is humid isn't really accurate, Texas is to big to describe by any single climate term other then I will admit hot is pretty universal other then a few areas where even when it is hot you don't find it uncomfortable.  The tiny town of Marathon comes to mind for that, it is about 90 miles north of Big Bend.  DFW is hot it isn't humid at all though.  There are ocassional humid trends but day to day I will take 100 in Texas over 90 in Pennsylvania any day.

It is cold this week (30s windy, cloudy, wet) and while that isn't that cold it reminds me that I really don't want to live up north ever again.  It will be beautiful in a week or two, it will still be cold in my old home town for months, screw that.  I am planting my garden right now to make a point.

When you come to Texas, come see us, we will put you up for a few days if you want so you can look around the DFW market if you are so inclined.  Two very different big cities, lots of jobs and things get real rural really fast in all four directions.
You're right, Texas is HUGE and I think the weather is as complex as some of the other issues. We drove from New Mexico to San Antonio, over to Galveston, and onto Louisiana. We were probably in some of the "wetter" areas. We did pass through the (top) Pan handle on the way back. It was arid.
All things being the same (liberty-wise), between Texas and my other states of interest, I think the climate for gardening and pastured livestock will weigh in.
I may take you up on your offer since we plan on being in Texas this summer. Visiting DFW would be time well spent. 

Backwoods Engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 07:35:10 PM »

Great site, Jack!  Looking forward to contributing to help freedom-loving folks join me in North Carolina.

Tom Haile

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 02:50:01 AM »

Awesome idea for a forum to draw like minded liberty oriented people together to help others find a liberty home in the USA.

I like what Malcolm Gladwell has to say in his book "The Tipping Point" and Jack mentioned, we don't need a majority to turn the tables on American tyranny. This forum can be an important tool. I suspect there're many groups starting their own movements of liberty. To me this forum has a drawing quality rather than a repoltion. Pulling people toward liberty rather than fighting oppression. My mental image is the naughty states are huge dark sinkholes of disappear and hopefully we can pull liberty oriented friends to safety.

I think we aren't going to see eye to eye on specific issues and I'm excited to read passionate discussions. I suspect we can all agree we can trust we are freedom leaning.

Thanks Jack
Pages: [1] 2